Friday 11 March 2011

Jamie Woon Interview


You might not have heard about Jamie Woon yet but that’s all set to change with the release of his debut album (scheduled for April) and coming forth on the BBC’s sound of 2011 list. Ahead of his latest tour I chatted to him about his inspirations and hopes for the year ahead.

For people that haven’t heard your music before how would you describe it?
I call it R&B because its groove led and it’s inspired by R&B, old and new. It’s quite atmospheric and sort of quite mellow. It’s got a sort of melancholy to it, which just comes from living in England. There are so many genres it could fit into.

What can people expect at one of your live shows?
On this tour I have a four-piece band, to an extent. I’m sort of manipulating my voice with electronics, playing guitar that adds some more textural stuff. There are electronic and organic drums, sort of a hybrid kit, its very clever. Guitar, keyboards, it’s a pretty traditional band set up. It’s all about trying to use those sounds to create more processed sounds and not letting that detract from the connection with the audience. I haven’t really been on the road the last few years so now I have a chance to get in the groove, which I am really looking forward to.

Your mum is a Celtic folk legend (Mae McKenna sung backing vocals for Bjork, Michael Jackson and Kylie Minogue and has appeared on more than 20 number one songs) would you say music is in your blood?
I always liked singing, when I was about 15 I decided to pick up the guitar, I just got really into it then got into music college and that was it, I didn’t really think about anything else after that. I was always encouraged to sing, everyone in my family sings, that’s a big part of my make up and my mum is my biggest influence, she was signing while I was in her stomach.




What’s been the highlight of your musical career so far?
The highlight is completing my first album, which I just finished before Christmas. I have been thinking about it, sort of obsessing about it for a long time. Now maybe I can move onto something else, another record or recording different stuff! There are songs on the album that are four or five years old and I’ve just been taking my time to get enough, songs that I really like and finding away of putting them down that felt good to me. That’s my biggest achievement so far.

Did you produce the album yourself?
I did yeah, my main instrument is vocals and guitar, I can’t really play keyboards but I can use logic to produce music. I knew a little bit about working with computers but really sort of jumped into it when I wanted to produce my own record. That’s my third instrument I guess and yeah now it’s interesting as its sort of going back the other way and playing things live.

What advice would you give to musicians trying to carve out a career for themselves?
I haven’t really thought too much about where I have got but more about what took me there. I just wanted to be in control of what I did and to take my time over what I did and not be hurried, stay true to my own musical upbringing and what I liked musically. That’s got me where I am but for someone else it might be different.

What are your plans for the year ahead? Any festivals lined up?
I think we should be doing some festivals but I don’t know what ones yet really, I think things are bubbling away. I really want to do lots of festivals, Glastonbury, Latitude, Secret Garden Party, which is my favourite festival, its just so beautiful, all of my friends go there every year and I’ve had some good times there.

What music are you listening to at the moment?
I’m not listening to a whole lot of music at the moment as I lost all my music! I’m really interested in the sort of global beats, electronic music, how international it is and that it’s coming up all over the world.

With an album coming out and your own record label (Candent Songs) to manage you must be exhausted?
I’m busier than I have ever been but I feel like there’s more time to do it in, I have managed to not do much in the past year, I think because I knew I would be touring quite a lot this year.

Published in Yorkshire Evening Post & Metro 

No comments:

Post a Comment