Sunday 27 March 2011

The Unthanks Interview


It’s an exciting time for The Unthanks, a sister folk group from Northumberland. They have just come back from Australia, are about to begin a UK tour and their fourth album ‘Last’ has just been released. If that wasn’t enough to keep them busy Becky, the younger sister, got engaged just before Christmas and Rachel and her husband (Adrian McNally - who plays the piano, drums, is the arranger and manager) are expecting their first child. I spoke to Becky who was jubilant and animated as she talked about her love of folk music and clog dancing.

The band is quite a family affair how does that work?
Ever since we were kids I would never sing without Rachel, I just didn’t see the point and was very shy. I used to go to this summer school where you go for a week and stay in the halls of Durham University. There was always a concert where people would get up and I would make Rachel come especially for that concert to sing with me. I never really wanted to sing because I wanted to show off my voice it was just about us singing together. I think we are really lucky that we work together. My boss is basically my brother in law, when we are on the road and missing home it’s really nice to have that comfort and have that solid unit of having Rachel and Adrian around. I think you also become like a family when you are in a band, you spend so much time together that it either works or it doesn’t and if it does you become a family unit.

Your parents were both singers did that inspire you?
They have always loved to sing, my dad sings in a shanty group as well as other things and my mum sings in choirs. Its not like they have ever done it professionally but they have always just had a love for singing and encouraged us to sing. I think its good for the soul. We have always sung at family parties and on the way to festivals. It has always been something we have loved to do; my parents have definitely influenced us and inspired us.

What about the clog dancing?
We have done it since we were kids. It was a great way, when we were kids, to get to festivals. The festivals would book dance teams so you would get a free ticket and get to see all this live music from such a young age and meet other people who are into folk music. We would also camp it was just brilliant. Everyone loves clog dancing; even if they don’t know it, they will love it. It’s very energetic.

What does folk music mean to you?
I absolutely love folk songs, since we were kids we have listened to these stories and they capture your imagination. We have always been drawn in by that, we love to keep those songs being heard and pass them on, its like we are passing on the story really. I love lots of other music as well; everyone loves the Beatles. At the minute we are talking about our wedding plans and we want to get a 50’s rock and roll band. I also love Anthony and the Johnsons, Sufjans Stevens a bit of everything really.

How are you feeling about the UK tour?
I can’t wait to tour; especially as we have the new album out and I can’t wait to perform those songs live. I love touring, it’s the reason that we do it, to perform live for people. We have the ten-piece band again; I can’t wait to hear what an amazing noise we all make. You never know what perception you have from the outside world because we are either at home or we are making the album, until you go out on tour and play the new album you don’t know what the response is going to be. It’s quite exciting and nerve racking.

Is there anywhere in the world you would like to go back to?
We have just been to Australia and I love going there, it’s the third time we have been, I would like to go there again.

Has your approach to making an album changed since the first one?
I think we go about making albums the same way each time. It all starts with me and Rachel finding the songs and then we take it to the musician and say “this is how we want to tell the story, how can you help us do that.” Adrian will have some crazy idea of what we should do. I think we will always make albums like that; it’s the only way we know how. 

Published in Metro & Yorkshire Evening Post  

No comments:

Post a Comment