Friday 15 April 2011

Clare Maguire Interview




For Clare Maguire music was always her dream, her calling. She wrote her first song at the age of seven, at the age of twenty she signed to Universal Music and her debut album ‘Light After Dark’ was released in February. In between all that she has partied with Kayne West, met with Rick Ruben and been cited by BBC and MTV as one to watch for 2011.

You seem like a really driven person was there ever a time when you thought you wouldn’t make it in music?
Not at all, I am a very driven, positive person and very obsessive about music. It was never about wanting to be extraordinarily successful or anything I just wanted to make music and I never thought for one minute that couldn’t happen because I think if you want to do something then you can do it.

Was there anything you had to give up in order to pursue your dream?
I had to be away from family and friends, I suppose I had to give up a certain life to try and pursue another.

Do you think it is important to be London for a music career?
I think there is more room now for people not to have to be in London because of the Internet. People can make a success of themselves with Youtube, Myspace, Facebook and Twitter so it’s not that essential anymore to move to London.


How helpful was Myspace in getting you noticed?
That was definitely how it started and that’s what I used to try and get people to hear me. I just put loads of demos up there and eventually a producer wanted to work with me and from that I got management. That’s how I managed to start commuting from London and writing.

How was it touring with Plan B, The Hurts & most recently The Script?
Plan B I think is one of the most genius artists of our generation. Being around that was an incredible experience. The Hurts are extremely visionary and lovely guys. The Script are the nicest guys I have possibly ever met, just really lovely people. It was a mad experience going out to arenas; it’s really improved my show.

You said you wanted the listener to have an ‘emotional connection’ with your music, what can people expect to feel when they listen to your album?
I think each songs gives a different kind of feeling. ‘Bullet to my Brain’ is a song you can cry to with your friends over a glass of wine. ‘Last dance’ which can give you two emotions, it can either make you happy and dance or it can make you reflective and think about someone you have lost. Each one just gives a different kind of feeling. I always thought that it was kind of like a mood album, you would like certain songs on certain days.

Is having a lot of creative input into all aspect of your songs important to you?
Yeah, to be honest it is because I am an artist and I love it. It’s what I wake up in the morning wanting to do, to push things, to have new ideas, to feel like I am involved in something. I think if I wasn’t I would just give up because I would feel like I wasn’t doing anything worthwhile. For example I did a video the other day and I had so much creative input and really pushed the boundaries. I am so excited about it, I am waking up in the morning just thinking about it straight away.

What musicians would you like to work with?
Kayne West, I love him and the last album he did when I first listened to it made me think I want to go into the studio with him, I think he would be really inspiring he is just one of those artists that doesn’t compromise, you know everything he does comes from him and I think that’s really powerful, it excites me. I think its incredible that people can be like that in music these days.

It’s a real shame; I mean I have gone through it and experienced it I can definitely see how people can be controlled by everything around them. Everyone has there own opinion and they try and push it on you everyday, constantly and you have to be a very strong person and very obsessed with what you do, really care about your fans and what you are giving out to really push against it and to say no and stand up and do what you want. I feel sorry for people who I can see, and even people I have met where I can see what they are doing is not really them and I think that’s a shame.


Published in Yorkshire Evening Post and Metr

No comments:

Post a Comment