Saturday 30 June 2012

Lone Wolf Interview




Leeds based musician Lone Wolf, born Paul Marshall, has spent the last year constructing his third album The Lovers with friends James Kenosha and Jon Fougler. He received critical acclaim for his first 2 albums and comparisons to Tom Waits and Nick Cave. The Lovers though is a strong departure from his last, a brilliant folk record, and we spoke to him to find out more about the different direction of the album and how his fans are funding it.

Your new album is being funded through fans pledges, why did you take that route?
It’s one of those things, I’ve been doing this for a little while now, this is my third record, and I always find myself having to sit on my hands a little. I’m always wishing I was a little bit more involved with what was going on, even though a lot of the time I would probably rather not be involved, it’s a weird double edged sword really. I just always really wanted to start my own record label, do it my own way on my own terms. I’ve always been vocal in speaking directly to the fans on Twitter and Facebook and email and stuff, I never hide, I always talk directly to people. I thought this was a really good way of talking directly to the fans and allowing them to be a part of it as well, so that we could all be in this together and make it our project. I just thought in this day and age where everyone is robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of thing, I thought it was nice for the fans, for them to know exactly where their money was going and exactly what every penny of that was going towards.

How did you decide what people could pledge for?
We had to do a bit of research and see what other bands had been offering. From doing a bit of a sweeping view of what other bands had done it became clearly obvious what kind of angle I wanted to do and what things I really didn’t want to do. For example I saw some bands offering things like ‘be our roadie for the day’ for £100 and I thought that’s a bit cruel on the fans. Being a roadie isn’t really the most fun job in the world, to have someone lug all your equipment around and then charge them for the privilege. I was determined that I wanted to do things that were very fan orientated and I really wanted the fan to feel, that when they pledge they really do get something personal out of it from me. I wanted more to talk directly to the fan and therefore show them that I am doing something specifically for them to thank them for pledging.

You didn’t use any piano, drums or acoustic guitar on your new record, why not?
When I did a couple of demos at home for a couple of the new songs, I don’t have access to a drum kit at home or things like that so I just played my electric guitar and I made one song by banging the back of a acoustic guitar to make the beat because its just what was there. Then I had a tambourine and made a rhythm like that, as we went further along I was going around the house banging on jars with spoons and scraping walls. I just started doing things and creating a bit of a sound bank from it of different organic percussive sounds instead of actually using a drum kit or cymbals or whatever. Then when we went into the studio I decided that I wanted everything to be kind of organic. I mean I still use instruments, I just use an electric guitar instead of an acoustic and that was just because I didn’t want to make another folk album, I wanted to make something a bit more interesting. I wanted to experiment more and let my brain do it’s thing. I use a lot of synths and a lot of electric bass and instruments like that. Before you were used to hearing an acoustic guitar with real drums generally and kind of down beat kind of folky tunes with strings. I don’t like to go over the same footprints that I’ve already trodden, I just wanted to try something new and I feel like it was the best decision that I’ve made.



How was it touring with Wild Beasts in the US?
It was wonderful. It was one of the best things I’ve ever done. It was kind of frustrating for me because I was first out of three bands and I had to go solo, just due to monetary restraints. I wasn’t able to take a band with me so I had to go all by myself and there were times I had to stay in towns for 5 days or so. I think I was in LA for 5 days and Wild Beasts were there for one night so I had all my pals there for one night and then they went off to do a festival I wasn’t playing. I had to hang around in LA for five days by myself so it was kind of a lonely tour in that respect but at the same time I got to play to some amazing audiences who were extremely receptive. I really can’t wait to go back and play in the States again. Obviously Wild Beasts are amazing and they have become some of my best friends and so any time I get to spend with those guys is always going to be good times.

Do you prefer performing solo or with accompaniment?
It goes up and down with regards to ease and with regards to the live experience. It’s very easy to just bang your acoustic guitar in its case and go out on the road but I just feel that as I’ve progressed as a musician my music has progressed with me. It’s got to a point now where I simply cant go out and tour solo, its got to be with a band now otherwise it would be a false representation of what the albums like. I much prefer going out with a band, it’s nice to have some people there on stage that you can look at every now and then. You get to share the experience with people rather than kind of sitting there on your own and wondering if you are actually having a good gig or not. Sometimes you come off stage with a band and everyone’s got a different opinion of it, it helps to have other brains up there with me and overall I just think it sounds better.

What advice would you give to aspiring musicians in Leeds?
I think the only advice you can ever really give is just to keep playing shows, just keep playing gigs. I think we are in an age now where I don’t think anyone should get too hung up on whether that guy from the record labels going to be in the audience. I think pledge music is proving that, even for someone like myself, you just have to keep believing in what you are doing. Don’t adapt your style to please someone else, do what it is you want to do because you love what you, don’t think about what the people might like unless you are specifically trying to be the next big sugar pop band, if you love what you do then other people will to.

What do you love about Leeds?
Everything really, I’ve got no plans to leave. One of the things that kept me here was the music scene because it never stops giving. It’s becoming a wonderful place for one of my other passions, which is really good food and really good beer. It’s got amazing restaurants, amazing places to eat and drink, the people, I’ve got a lovely circle of friends here, I just think it’s a great city.



Published in Yorkshire Evening Post 

No comments:

Post a Comment