Thursday 28 June 2012

The Charlatans Interview




In the 22 years that The Charlatans have been together they have endured more than most bands ever would. They have had huge success with albums like Tellin’ Stories and Us and Us Only. They have also had to face the grief of losing member Rob Collins in a car crash and drummer Jon Brookes treatment for a brain tumour. We spoke to the faultlessly affable Tim Burgess who has been the bands lead singer throughout their highs and lows.

You’ve just published your memoir, what was the most challenging part of getting that together?
It’s just that I’d never written a book before I suppose, it’s quite challenging. The fact that I don’t consider myself an author in any shape or form. I said that at the beginning of the book, which kind of blew my chances of anybody reading it. People got passed that and started to really enjoy it. An agent approached me and asked if I’d thought of writing a book, I actually hadn’t but lied and told him I had. Two years later I started writing it after a lot of false starts.

Was there anything you thought twice about putting in?
There’s a chapter on the Wu-Tang Clan that I didn’t put in. The missing chapter I like to call it. I wrote about New Order, The Clash and Paul Weller so I thought having the Wu-Tang Clan in there as well was pushing it too far. I think everything made up the book, there were bits I thought were missing towards the end but it was actually bringing it all up to date. All the way through it I was changing my mind all the time, so I think it came out quite considered. It’s got some brilliant reviews, I’m thrilled.

You are playing the Magic Loungeabout festival this year, any others?
Yeah we’ve got a few festival things. We started off with the idea of just doing 4, but it’s kind of grown a little bit this one and it’s got out of control. I’ve heard very good things about the Magic Loungeabout though.





Do you prefer playing smaller or larger shows?
I’m easy, I just like the idea of playing, it’s always good to shake it up a little bit. I just did this really nice thing in a gallery in Newcastle, just in front of 40 people and I really enjoyed it. I like everything I can’t deny it, I love it all.

When you look back over your career how do you think you have developed as a singer?
Well I’ve tried a lot of stuff out. I’ve been in lots of bands before The Charlatans, played bass in a band and played keyboards in a band, not properly, 1-finger keyboards and all that. When I joined The Charlatans to sing, I don’t know it’s kind of weird, as musicians, especially Rob Collins, he was kind of like the leader and he played like the leader so there wasn’t a lot of singing going on originally. It was quite a lot of organ playing, so I didn’t really need to do that much and as time went on I started getting to the front a little bit and singing over everything. Then I kind of got stronger. There’s an album when I wanted to do something to completely change my voice, another album where I gave up smoking, I didn’t have any choice but that changed my voice. Even my speaking voice, I’ve completely lost all the gravel in my voice now. I’m a lot more in control now I suppose. It’s never something I’ve really thought about, a lot of it’s about presence as much as singing really. You’ve got to be an enigma, you’ve got to be cool, that’s the key.

You’ve done a solo record, when’s that coming out?
I did one in 2003, and I’ve got another coming out in September. I went to Nashville to meet up with a friend of mine, when I got there he didn’t know what I was going to ask him so we went for coffee and I just said ‘Kurt do you fancy writing a record together?’ This is Kurt Wagner from Lambchop. We came up with about 6 ideas in the 10 days I was there then I continued writing during the summer. It’s quite a Nashville style record, it’s not like I’ve gone there and come back with a cowboy hat or anything like that but it’s got elements of gospel, country and soul.

When Rob Collins died how was it dealing with your grief in the public eye, most of us don’t really have to experience that?
That’s a good point, we dealt with it in the public eye from the word go you know what I mean, as soon as he died basically. It started off with local reporters and obviously then the nationals, all that kind of stuff. We had so much stuff that we hadn’t finished. There was an article we were halfway through making at a magazine called the Face and it was to be the big come back piece, the front cover page. We were halfway through it so we kind of finished it off. We never had a second to think about it. At the funeral there were lots of fans and people from the press, that kind of thing. It was really weird but we didn’t know how to do it any other way, as a band we had quite a bit of exposure straight away so we never knew how to do stuff in private anyway. We do now of course but we were young. It didn’t seem abnormal, we just kind of did it. I talked about it a bit in the book, the eulogy at the funeral, it was like I was reading about a different person, I was just freaking out because it wasn’t the person that I knew. It was quite weird trying to maintain the person that we knew with keeping his family happy; it was two completely different people.

Do you think having that experience has kept you stronger as a band, you have managed to stay together for a long time when not a lot of bands can do that?
I think the fact that we didn’t spectacularly fall out was out of loyalty to Rob. At the time when he died, I think we felt we owed it to him to keep his name alive, I don’t know why. Then for a while we had Martin Duffy and he has a different character, he is a very happy guy and that helped. Then you know, to find someone like Tony Rogers, who by chance used to live just up the road from Rob and was also a Hammond organ player, it’s quite a different instruments from any other keyboards, and he just fit in really well. To a lot of people the 2 albums we did after Rob died were the best, people seem to hold them really high to the rest of The Charlatans records.
There was a time when I thought about him every minute so I think at the moment that I can just remember him now and again is quite cool. It was really unhealthy for a long time, I think every member of the band dealt with it in their own way of course. People would ask me all the time how I’m dealing with it. I think it was quite an unhealthy thing. I had nightmares all the time, talked about him when it was pretty raw. I think I’ve got a healthy relationship with it now.



Published in The Yorkshire Evening Post and Metro 

No comments:

Post a Comment